Monday, March 9, 2009

I just realized...

I just realized that a lot of the reason why people might not be able to save money on groceries is because they don't actually know how to cook. I've noticed the things that the majority of people are putting into their carts at the grocery store or Wal-Mart, and it's not surprising that they spend a couple hundred dollars a week on groceries.

I can honestly say that this week I spent a total of $11.73 on groceries (not including cat food). My house has a pretty good stockpile going thanks to couponing, but we also eat a lot of staple "real foods". This weeks I only had to buy:

Milk
Eggs
Cornmeal
1 Onion
Bag of carrots
Ground Turkey
An apple
4 very large cabbages (on sale $.19 a ib!)
1/2 sausage from the meat counter for homemade Runzas(at $1.99 a ib)
Freebie sugar-free chocolates (got 6 bags, have coupons for 24 more)
2 kiwis at $.25 each

I already have a couple hundred ibs of flour, at least 80 of sugar, 60 ibs potatoes from warehouse store (20 ib bags for a dollar!), various canned foods and toiletries to last several months to a year.

Out of those things I can make 5 grain cereal (in my case it's 6 grain because I add whole flaxseed to mine), homemade breadsticks, homemade runzas and cresent rolls, from scratch yellow cake cupcakes (I use the recipe off of the Wilton web site), muffins for breakfast, tacos, chile, potato soup, potato corn soup with the leftovers, etc. Desserts could be mini cobblers from canned fruits, leftover muffins, the cupcakes, popcorn-Chex mix, homemade cookies...

No comments:

Post a Comment